Saturday, March 24, 2012

What NOT To Say to a Friend Struggling With Infertility

First of all, thank you to everyone who has shown support for what I'm doing and for the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated!

One of the things that has truly been on my heart during our journey through infertility is educating people about the struggles of infertility.

Many of my friends have asked me in the past about what they should or should not say to me. I've decided to provide some guidelines. Please know each women's sensitivity may vary depending on her personal struggle or situation, but I say better safe than sorry. I am also speaking more to women. While this is a couple's issue, this is something that usually affects women much more.

So here is my short guide, which comes from both experience and research.  Pardon me in advance for being somewhat blunt and sarcastic. 

THE BASICS:

Here are some things you should NOT say to women while they are struggling. Now if you have said any of these to someone, don't feel bad. I understand that people mean well. However, the more educated you are, the better.

1)Don't tell them to relax. This is called the "R" word in infertile circles. This is very rarely the problem for infertile people. While stress can be a problem, it is often not the issue for people who publicize their infertility journey. Stress is usually an issue that is quickly rectified.

2) Don't minimize the problem or say there are worse things that can happen. 
Don't say this really isn't a big deal or shouldn't bother them that much. Of course there are worse things that can happen. Any life-changing event could be worse, but it doesn't change how much it hurts.

3) Don't say they aren't meant to be parents or there's a reason why they aren't parents. Like well meaning Christians often say this trying to imply God's will is sovereign. Faith and God's presence is a huge issue for infertile women -- let them deal with this on their own or with a Christian counselor.

4)Don't ask "ты не хочиш чи не можеш?" If your friend (or an acquaintance) brings up their infertility to you, they are wanting to talk to to you about it. Only from that point on, the conversation is probably welcome. This can be a very painful topic otherwise. 

5)Don't play doctor. I've heart it all over the years, especially from our older helpful Russian women  "Have you tried accupuncture, massages, special tampons, standing on your head after sex, etc.? Certainly- but not all at the same time! 
  But, yes, believe me, we explored many different  avenues, be it based on faith, medical science or on an old wives tale.  Don't give medical advice unless you really know what you are talking about. 

6)Don't be crude. This should be obvious. Making jokes about "Do you need a lesson?" or "We can show you how it's done"  is just mean.

7)Be tender when making a pregnancy announcement but don't assume your friend won't be happy for you or wouldn't want to participate in the baby festivities, baby shower, etc. 

8) Don't complain about your pregnancy or your children. Obviously there are things to complain about but it is a wise move to find someone else to confide in with these problems. 

9) Don't push adoption.  The general rule is to not bring this up unless they bring it up first. This is a very wonderful and tender topic and when they are ready, they will share. Why do most people not adopt and have genetic children instead? Because biological children is the primary choice for most people. Women who are struggling with infertility are  no different in this desire. After spending years trying to become pregnant, considering adoption is a complete switching of gears, and it's just not always possible to do that. 

The fact that some don't adopt doesn't mean that they really didn't want children enough.  We decided to start a family for the same reasons most people do - we wanted to create a being that was a part of us.  Is it selfish?  Of course it is.  But so what?  Most people don't have to think twice about that. Fortunately, God has opened our heart to adoption, but it's not always that way for people struggling with infertility.  

Anyway, infertile couples aren't anymore  responsible to adopt, then fertile couples. If someone adopts for the wrong reasons, it isn't fair to anyone, especially the child.

10)Don't start any story with ... "I know someone..." or "I had a friend who..." These stories often feature the exception, not the rule. The biggest culprits: "I know  a friend who went on a vacation and then had a baby", and "I know a friend who got pregnant right after they adopted." These cause chills down an infertile women's spine.

11)Don't tell them that if they adopt, they will probably become pregnant. The fact is that less than 1% of couples conceive after adoption.
Support their decision to stop treatments. Again, a personal decision. Encourage them in whatever direction they choose. If they want advice, they'll ask.

12)Don't say "I hope you get pregnant, being a parent is the best thing ever," or "don't you wish you could have a baby? Look at my angel!" I have heard this on more than one occasion -- shocking? Yes. Painful? Yes. I know they meant well but it is hard to hear. I know being a parent is wonderful, that's usually why couples start trying to conceive to begin with.

Okay, so that's a lot of things NOT to do. Here's some things you can do:

1)Pray for them.
2)Put them in touch with other women "in their situation". (Ask them if they want to be contacted or do the contacting.)
3)Invite them to all events but give them the option to "opt" out of events that might be painful (baby showers, kid's parties,baptisms, etc.)
4)Invite them to child-free events whenever possible.
6)Recognize that not being able to have a child is the loss of a dream. It is the same as a single person who wants to get married not finding "the one". It's a loss of sorts. They will move through stages of grief including a time when they question their faith. However, they will cycle through this with love and prayer and the support of their friends and family. 

13 comments:

  1. Wow Kris - I love this post. Thank you for providing people with these tips - how helpful! Hopefully more in our community will become more educated and sensitive to women struggling with infertility. You are so strong to have weathered many a comment!!! Praying for you always. Love you my friend! Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krystyna I am so so sorry that you have had to put up with all of that! Some people are so rude and callous that you just cringe when they're about to open their mouths! What you posted yesterday about many in our (Russian Christian) community being insensitive and not knowing how to react to infertility really stuck with me. It is so true. Everyone has a cure, tip, or trick. I'm ashamed to say I've probably said a couple things off your list, and I hope to never again. I hope you're surrounded by love, support, and the encouragement that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you both enjoyed the post. To be honest, although I've heard my share of offensive comments, I realize most people are trying to be helpful and genuine, they just don't know what to say in certain situations. Although I am definitely not as sensitive about it now, you never know where in the grieving process a women may be. If she is really hurting and questioning God's purpose and plan for her life, these words can be like pouring salt into an open wound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krystyna, I have to say a big thank you for finding courage to start this blog, and especially for posting these tips!! It is such an eye opener for our Russian community. Having been in your shoes, I very much hope that more and more of our fellow Russians find a way to read this blog and educate themselves. Unfortunately, this issue is still somewhat taboo in our culture; therefore, people may mean well while simultaneously being insensitive with the things they say/or do. I especially love the tips you give that people CAN do. Particularly one where you say that being invited to all events is appreciated; however, having the option to opt is such a kind act. I remember feeling so much pain and grief when attending baby showers, children birthday parties, even family gatherings with a ton of kids in attendance. Keeping all the angst and sorrow in while putting on a happy front, only later to come home and weep into my pillow. Sometimes having that option to send a gift instead of being physically present, is such a relief that is much appreciated. Again Krys, I salute you for your willingness to shed light on this issue and share your story. Many blessings to you and your family. Love, Nina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina, thank you for your comment! It means a lot coming from someone who can relate. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement! God bless you and your growing family! :)

      Delete
  5. Krystyna, I would just like to say that you are one of the strongest and most brave women I know! I know it can't be easy being so open about such a sensitive subject but I think it is very important that you are giving infertile women in the Russian community a voice. I know that our people, while they generally mean well, sometimes can be downright rude about that which they might not fully understand (since as another commentator pointed out speaking openly about infertility is taboo). Hopefully your blog will help them see how hurtful careless words can be and how each of us can be more loving to those around us (that is what i got from this entry, I will try to much more sensitive to those who are hurting). I am praying that God will send you the sweetest, most precious baby because you are definitely going to be a great mommy. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommyof2, thank you for your kind words. To be honest, my strength is not my own. God has truly transformed my heart and mind and I still can't believe how far I've come with God's grace. Thank you for your support and encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing these tips Krystyna! They are so helpful. I love how honest your blog is! Keep up the great writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said. You have a great writing style and convey the information in a great way. I would also add to what NOT to say:

    "Everything in God's timing...". Oh...how that one grated me every time someone said it. Of course I believed it...but hearing it over and over was aweful.

    Great thing to say: "I have no idea what to say...your situation sucks, and I'm sorry you are going through it". Thank you....honest....perfect.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I agree with your additional comments about what NOT to say, although it may be true, it doesn't always help to hear it over and over again.

      Delete
  8. Hi Krystyna, I just came across your blog. You are the second blog that I came across from the Slavic community about adoption. Thank you for your posts and your honesty! Your story has really touched me. I have the same background coming from a Russian community and struggling with infertility. Your blog is something that helps me cope in a way.
    You're very strong for starting a blog and letting people in into something so personal. I'm not that strong and struggle with coping, even after a year only my husband and mother knows, but I don't speak about it to either one of them.
    But no matter what God is always amazing through this process/part of life...I don't know how to even name it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inna, thank you for your comment! I'm sorry that you've been going through similar struggles. It's hard to at times to grasp that God sees the big picture and he is in control! Stay strong and don't hesitate to open up and talk about your struggles, before they overcome you. I'd be happy to chat with you some more if you need. Be blessed! Sending you hugs!

      Delete