Monday, June 4, 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME VITAMIN LADY???


I had a run-in this weekend with an older Russian woman who approached me at a funeral, as I  finished sharing my condolences with the grieving family. I have to say, this incident is one for the books! It goes along with what NOT to say to someone struggling with infertility! As a matter of fact, this goes along with what NOT to say, EVER! 

 This lady approaches me and says she really needs to speak to me about something. Here goes her opening line, “I have these pills, they can help you take care of this area,” as she points at my stomach and waist. “You’ll have results in no time! You will actually have a defined waist line.” I am obviously a bit stunned at this point and explain “I’m sorry, but I don’t believe in diet pills.” She continues to tell me they are NOT diet pills, they are vitamins .“Krystyna, you obviously need them, your immune system is not working correctly.” I proceed to explain I believe dieting consists of eating right and exercising.

As if pointing out that I should lose weight wasn't bad enough, she proceeds with more offenses.  I should have ditched the conversation, but this lady was not backing down! “Krystyna, I noticed you don’t have children….” (THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!) “I really believe it’s because your immune system isn't working correctly, you really need these vitamins!” Instead of listening to my instinct and just bolting for the door at this point, I continued to politely explain to this acquaintance that I have a medical condition I've been struggling with for years. I work with some of the best reproductive health doctors in Northern California and I already take lots of medicine, therefore I don’t want anything to mess with the plan my doctors have me on, yada yada. She interrupts me, "What is your condition anyways? What's the problem? Maybe I can help.” Yes, I’m sure you can. Please show me your PhD - then maybe we can talk!

She continues...“Krystyna, do you want to be healthy? These vitamins can help you. You think you’ve tried everything, but obviously you haven’t. If you fix your immune system, you’ll be able to have children. Why aren’t you trying more? Do you think you have all the answers? That’s it, come to my house, I live a few minutes away, you need these pills!”

ARE YOU KIDDING ME LADY? Yes, you are right! I don’t have children because I don’t want them enough. I had surgery and have taken a dozen medications at a time for fun. I should have just tried your vitamins instead! They are miracle vitamins, they are for losing weight, gaining weight, healing infertility, ulcers, etc!   I’m sorry if I’m not willing to try every pill offered to me by doctors. WAIT, you AREN’T a doctor? That’s right, you are just trying to make a sale. Thank you very much for offending me in every way imaginable in a matter of minutes! Nice sales pitch! Does that really work on others? ARE YOU KDDIING ME VITAMIN LADY????  NOT COOL!

5 comments:

  1. That is by far the worst story I've heard. Its up there with the "have you tried acupunture?" and "are you sure you know what you are doing?" as though after 10+ years of marriage, we don't know how to have sex correctly. Geesh!

    Big Hugs! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't believe you handled that situation so Christ-like. This is an example for me. People are ridiculous and it's crazy how crazy people are. I'm sorry for this kind of behavior AT CHURCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimmy! I wish I was stronger and just brushed off the comments. Hopefully with time, I'll handle these situations even better.:)

      Delete
  3. OCDiva, I was a bit taken back. Thanks for the hugs. Right back at you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy story! seems like something from a ridiculous t.v. show..So sorry you had to hear this lady ramble

    ReplyDelete