Sunday, March 16, 2014

Welcome to Donetsk

We arrived in Donetsk late Friday night. We were pleasantly greeted and welcomed into Oleg and Lena's home. They are a Christian family with three kiddos, two of which are Andrey and Katya's age. 

Today was bittersweet. The bitter part was that just a few hours after arrival, it was evident that tensions are extremely high here. The people here are on edge and don't know what their future holds. I fear what will happen if Russia starts taking over Ukraine and what it will mean for the people of Donetsk. Will the city surrender or will there be warfare? To even think of seeing warfare in my lifetime was unimaginable just a few months ago and now I find myself thinking what it'll be like if there is an invasion and what our evacuation plan would be. What do we do about the kids? Are we crazy for staying here? The thought of our cozy and safe Rocklin home is so incredibly distant right now and I'm wondering why God has led us here? Why now? I'm a bit paranoid and I've done a good job of keeping my fears at bay, but if our life is in danger, I'm scared I will just give up and be on the next flight out of here. 

The sweet part: we got to see Andryushka today!!! It was spectacular and we realized how much we've missed him. I was a bit emotional at first, but was proud that I kept it together for our 2.5 hour meeting today. Andrey was thrilled to see us, but at first he was a bit shy/shocked. His shell shock wore off within two minutes and he started cuddling up to us and calling us Mama and Papa every chance he got. Mama - that word is music to my ears! Pinch me now! He went on to tell us about his friends at the orphanage and how he told them all about us. He couldn't believe we were actually there! He is so in need of so much love, attention and affection. He was cuddling up to us the entire time and trying to act sleepy so he can lay his head on my lap, or just hold my hand. We were sad to leave him, but we will be back on Monday or Tuesday.

Please pray for God to give us wisdom and grace, as Monday will be a very critical day for us. Please pray that God will protect the Ukrainian people from war and bloodshed. Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment