Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bottles, Tears and Babies R' Us

Sorry for the delayed post.  I was in Mexico celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary. I've been truly blessed to spend the last five years with my prince charming by my side! I love you honey!!!


Everyone is so excited for us and always asking if we've heard anything.  The truth is we’ve been considered by several birth moms, but haven’t heard anything concrete yet. In the meantime, we are preparing to have a child in our lives, just like any other expectant parents would. Instead of Lamaze and doctor's visits, we are keeping up with our adoption classes, reading a lot of adoption books and getting our finances in order.  We have started to spend a little time preparing our home for our baby and a few months ago I started to take a look at all the stuff that's available for a baby.  All that I have to say is good grief there's a lot of baby stuff available!!! Because our placement can happen very quickly, we need to be prepared to bring our baby home on short notice. We were instructed to have basic baby essentials ready to go: diapers, bottles, formula, first few outfits (both boy and girl), car seat, crib and stroller. Sounds simple enough... YA RIGHT!

My first visit to Babies R Us ended with me practically in tears hyperventilating in the bottle aisle. Why are there 400 different bottles to choose from? What bottle is best? Why are they so expensive? What’s the difference between the affordable brand and not-so-affordable brand? Am I a bad mother if I want to save a few bucks and go with the affordable bottle? My head was spinning!!!! I started questioning how ready I was for motherhood. Had I just spent the last 5 years dreaming about being a mommy, only to find that I’m not even ready for this responsibility? Were these feelings of inadequacy normal or induced by being an adoptive mother? Luckily my wonderful sister, an experienced mom, came to my rescue and saved me from this whirlwind of anxiety. She picked out a few things for me and told me every mom feels overwhelmed at first. 

Luckily, shortly after my Babies R' Us experience, I was blessed by my ladies’ home group, which surprised me with a basket of all the baby essentials. Boy, was that a relief! My parents are also amazing and surprised me with a stroller as soon as we were officially on the waiting list!


This is all becoming so real! I can’t wait to start decorating the nursery! Most importantly, I can’t wait to meet our little baby, where ever he or she may be! 

Now, time for some feedback from other mom’s out there. Were you overwhelmed before you had the baby? What scared you most about motherhood? Any anxiety? How did you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment